Thursday, December 8, 2011

Beat the Treats!

Yesterday the first of the holiday treats arrived in my office, and I know there will be many more to come. Let's face it...food is a big part of the holiday season. Christmas cookies, truffles, peppermint mochas....... great, now I'm craving sweets :)

For those of us who consistently try to eat healthy and stay fit, but L.O.V.E. sweets, Christmas time is a huge deterrent. Who wants to give up the delicious holiday treats? Not me! But guess what, we can still enjoy treats without gaining weight. The main idea, is DO SOMETHING. Whether it's a full fledged cardio and weight lifting workout at they gym, pilates when you wake up, or the choice to drink a glass of red wine instead of a stout beer. Every change will contribute to your health!

Here's some ideas I have come up wtih improve/maintain your health during the season (and beyond!):

1. Workout videos - this time of year is very busy. I personally find it a struggle to get to the gym. Luckily, you can get just as good of a workout at home. Find a DVD that's sitting around, or find a video on youtube...anything that gets your heart rate up and your muscles hurting will work! I recently came across this website. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to! http://www.bodyrock.tv/category/daily-workouts/all-workouts/

2. Fitness classes - If you do have time to go to the gym, but can't find the motivation, join a class! They're really fun and they mix up your routine. Also, there's a sense of accountability when you are working out with others on a weekly basis.

3. Less lattes and more coffee. I have been buying peppermint mocha flavored creamer for my coffee. It usually satisfies my latte cravings, and by avoiding them I'm cutting out a lot of calories and sugar.

5. Eat oatmeal or a fruit smoothie for breakfast (or put oatmeal IN your smoothie.) These foods are healthy and filling.


6. Drink lots of water! Lately I have been horrible with drinking water, but it's very important! It flushes out toxins and keeps you full. If you struggle like I do, try adding some crystal light powder to it. Or, as my dad says, just chug it!

7. Keep your eye on the prize. Here's some motivation for you (and me):



More ideas and tips? Share them in the comments box :)

No comments:

Post a Comment