Friday, December 23, 2011

Good Grief.

So... I got a new car a few months ago, and I've been trying to sell my Jetta ever since. The car ran perfectly when I had it...I loved it. But suddenly, all of these problems started coming up. Typical. I have put SO MUCH money into it in the past few months...new starter, spark plugs, coils, rims, etc...  and my selling price keeps going down and down and down. I'm starting to think it's costing me way more trouble than it's worth...especially after what happened today...

I had two people coming to look at it today at 10 and 11. At 9, I went to put some gas in it and get a car wash. Two men greeted me and wanted to inspect my windshield, look at my tires, blah blah blah. I wasn't in the mood to buy anything. While I was in the car wash, I noticed that my heat wasn't on. Then, as I was under the dryers, the battery light started flashing. OH. GREAT. IT'S. DEAD. I was so worried! I kept thinking that if my car is dead, it won't move...so the car behind me will smash into it! Luckily, it rolled a little and got out of the way. I tried starting it again and again, but it was dead. Completely. I reached into my pocket to grab my phone and realized I had left it at home. The one time I actually need it for something important, I don't have it.

I grabbed my purse, locked the doors and speed-walked back over to the guys who tried to lure me into spending even more money on my car. "Do one of you have a phone I could borrow? My car died and I left my phone at home." I called my dad, and one of the guys offered to look at my car. Then, he jumped it for me. I called my dad back and told him he didn't need to come. Thanks car wash guy!

I pulled out of the driveway and into the turn lane, waiting to get in the right lane to be on my merry way. But then...it died again. At this point I was still rolling, and hoping to be able to roll across the street and onto a side street...but of course, there was no break in the traffic. So I was stuck in the middle of Plainfield. I grabbed my purse and locked the doors again and ran across the street and into a tanning salon. I asked to use the phone, and then I told the girl behind the counter how frustrated I was. I was especially frustrated because I had to call both of my prospective buyers and tell them that the car was dead! Her cheery response was... "Do you want to tan while you wait?" ... ... ... really??? I decided to go stand near the street instead of wait in the salon.

A nice woman pulled up and asked "Is that your car in the middle of the street?" Why yes, yes it is. "Do you need some help? Why don't you go wait inside where it's warm?" With the annoying tanning girl? No thanks. "How long have you been out here? You'll get sick in this cold!" Appreciating her kindness and concern, I replied with, "Yes, that's my car. I'm fine waiting out here, and my dad will be here soon." My dad showed up seconds later. "See...he's right here. Thanks for stopping, though."

After deciding not to hook up the tow strap for fear of an oncoming car rear-ending mine and crushing my dad, and after I insisted we did not push it across two lanes of busy traffic, we jumped the car again. It started and ran just long enough to get it into a nearby parking lot, where it was picked up by a tow truck just a few minutes ago.

After those shenanigans, I needed some retail therapy...so I bought this Charlie Brown tree.
What a morning. Good grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment