Monday, December 12, 2011

Secret Santa

About a month ago, I signed up to be part of the secret santa gift exchange on Reddit. For those of you who don't know, Reddit is an online community devoted to social news. Users can submit content in many different categories, choose what information they want to read about, participate in discussion, build a profile, etc. Brad loves this website and visits it daily. He participated in a Halloween gift exchange and encouraged me to sign up for the Christmas one. It's a HUGE exchange...like 80,000 people or something like that. I had a very hard time choosing a gift for my recipient, but I ended up buying an anime book because that's what he's interested in. I paired it with some chocolate and a nice card.

A week ago I got a message saying that my present was shipped to me! I spent the following few days wondering what it could be. I had to fill out an interest form when I signed up, but I was kind of vague. I listed: travel, photography, Italy, chocolate, the color purple, coffee, and dogs. I wondered how someone who has never met me and knows virtually nothing about me could pick out a gift for me...but my gift arrived on Friday and I LOVED it.

Taped to the front of the box was a card that not only wished me a happy holiday, but told me all about the sender, who's name is Jamie. When I opened the box, I was so surprised...she got me something relating to  each of my interests on the list: a dog calendar, a book about Italy, purple gloves, purple duct tape, two boxes of chocolate, a package of Stabucks coffee, a picture frame, and to top it all off...a picture that her daughter painted!

It just really touched me that someone would put so much time and thought into a present for someone that they don't even know. True holiday spirit :)  Thanks Jamie!

1 comment: