Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Baked Chocolate Doughnuts

I crave sweets sometimes all of the time...hence the reason for my beat the treats post.Tonight, I had a tough decision to make....  mint, dark, or caramel Ghiradelli chocolate. But then, I had a brilliant idea! Why not roll up my sleeves and bake something instead? I visited (never home)maker's blog because I think her recipes always sound interesting and healthy, and I wanted to make something that I wouldn't feel that guilty eating.


I found a recipe for baked chocolate doughnuts. They are healthy(er) than regular doughnuts, and are very rich, moist, and delicious. The frosting is very sweet, but the actual doughnut is not, which gives it a nice balance and doesn't make your stomach feel like it's going to rot. I made mine as cupcakes because I don't have mini bunt cake pans.


Doughnut Recipe: 

  • 1 cup rolled oats, processed into flour 
  • 1/4 cup pecans (processed with oats) (Note: I used extra oats instead because I didn't have any pecans.)
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup 
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup almond milk (Note: I used half percent milk because sadly I think I am allergic to almond milk) 
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • Ener-G egg replacer (plus required water) for one egg (or egg/other substitute) (Note: I used one regular egg)
Preheat to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together. Put in greased mini bunt pans (5) or separate into greased muffin tins. Bake for 12-14 minutes.

Frosting Recipe: 
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons almond milk
Mix all ingredients together with a fork. 

To see (never home)maker's full recipe, blog, and photos of what the doughnut version looks like, click here









~ ENJOY ~

No comments:

Post a Comment